This position is required to be on site full time.
The Construction Group Manager oversees and sets strategy for planning and implementing capital projects for both manufacturing and non-manufacturing sites throughout General Motors. The position will involve working with counterparts in Front End Planning, Project Engineering, GM Business Units (ME, Finance, GPSC, VE, etc), and various industry groups (CII, CURT, LCI, etc). This person will have the level of expertise required to qualify as a manager and will need to possess significant knowledge of construction project management execution activities. This job description is intended to set forth the core functions required for this position and describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this position. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required to do this job. Employees may be assigned additional responsibilities as needed. The company reserves the discretion to revise this job description at any time and require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of the company's business, competitive considerations or the work environment changes. This document describes the position as currently available and is not an employment contract.
Master's degree in engineering, architecture or related field or equivalent work experience
· Political savviness
· Dealing with ambiguity
· Conflict management
· Managerial courage (being bold)
· Organizational agility
· Be accountable and hold others accountable
· Coaching mentality / interpersonal skills
· Active listening
· Emotional intelligence
· Supervises all department staff directly or indirectly in performance of project management, project delivery, reporting, payment, and project schedules.
· Develops department-wide goals and objectives.
· Oversees and manages implementation of capital projects and ensures adherence to cost and schedule.
· Prepares and organizes project reports and facilitates discussions as required with business stakeholders.
· Ensures that the Facility Projects group and GM Business Units are kept fully informed of emerging issues, events, and deliverables.
· Reviews all departmental reports and presentations. Organizes all historical data for estimating costs and benchmarking studies on a global basis
· Represents the organization and actively participates on industry professional boards: CII, CURT, LCI, etc.
· Performs other related duties as assignedAdditional Description
· Extensive experience in coordinating facilities design and construction activities
· Extensive experience with construction contracts including engineering drawings and specifications
· Extensive knowledge and experience with personnel management, including supervision, training and performance evaluation
· Extensive knowledge of the methods and techniques of research and analysis and problem solving
·Knowledge of financial analysis, capital facility costs, estimating, contractor payments, AR preparation and project legal issues (Claim resolution, Waivers of Lien, Risk Insurance, etc)
· Strong computer skills particularly in Excel, PowerPoint, and cost estimating software
· Strong analytical and communication skillsAbout GM
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.Total Rewards Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.Diversity Information
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at [email protected] or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.