The Quality Engineer II (QE) is accountable for the overall delivered quality of products and/or services to customers and ensures quality controls are met. The QE engages Continuous Improvement (CI) resources to identify and eliminate cost drivers, identify, and eliminate flow disruptions and implement visual factory KPI metrics. The QE establishes effective Problem Reporting and CAPA systems for Containment, Correction & Prevention Actions and Documentation of non-conformances. The Quality Engineer will have either Customer Quality responsibilities or Product Quality responsibilities, in addition to the general responsibilities outlined.
· Coordinate work with Quality Technicians and inspectors as necessary
· Provides internal auditing support
· Responsible for driving corrective action and failure analysis in a timely manner
· Participate in Product Readiness Reviews (PRR) and coordinate Final Inspection activities
· Provide guidance and assistance in quality enhancement strategies and the interpretation of workmanship criteria
· Perform process capabilities analysis on key characteristics, implementing Inspection and Quality Plans
· Conduct internal audit activities including but not limited to quality management systems, purchasing, contract review process, and manufacturing
· Drive trend improvements on the internal & external quality in support of strategic business objectives
· Build stable, productive internal/external working relationships using effective interpersonal skills. Effectively articulate concepts and ideas to both technical and non-technical staff
· Resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways while applying company policies and procedures
· Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factor
· Ensure product acceptance criteria reflects the customer's definition of fitness for use
· Correspond, as required, with customer representatives to ensure a thorough understanding of their needs and expectations
· Participate in the review of engineering specifications to ensure the inclusion of adequate quality and reliability requirements
· Work to reduce defects in various processes through data analysis and team problem-solving
· Review customer contracts and purchase orders to identify requirements and flow down new customer requirements to all functions
· Review New Product Integration (NPI) customer specifications to flow down new requirements to all functions and ensure in establishing compliance to customer requirements
· Perform PPAP's (production part approval process)
· Act as liaison for the development & LRIP areas on matters related to NPI process & first article inspection
· Other duties as assigned
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills & Experience)
· Bachelor's degree in related discipline and 5 years' experience or Master's degree & at least 3 years' experience, or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
· Minimum of 2 - 5 years of related experience
· Knowledge of DMAIC, FMEA, PPAP, Statistical Process Control (SPC), Gage R&R Studies and lean manufacturing methodologies.
· Demonstrated knowledge of ISO 9001:AS9100, AS9102 standards and audits
· Knowledge of dimensional inspection measurement systems and their application for the inspection of complex products – knowledge of ASME Y14.5 (GD&T). Knowledge in mechanical inspection methods and skills.
Other Qualifications & Desired Competencies
· Demonstrates proficiency using MS Office Suite (Word, Access, PowerPoint, Excel)
· Demonstrates initiative to work efficiently and to streamline processes. Normally receives some instruction on day-to-day work, general instructions on new assignments.
· Has a full understanding of one's specialization and uses professional concepts and company objectives to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways
· Ability to communicate with customer and suppliers to resolve processes gaps and the ability to apply specified requirements in a cost-effective approach.
· Ability to collect, compile and analyze data (using the appropriate six sigma methods and techniques); to determine both the actual root causes of identified problems and required corrective (preventive) actions to prevent recurrence.
· Able to affect internal and external DPPM (scrap and rework) reduction and OTD improvements both internally and at our suppliers.
· Strong written/verbal communication, analytical, time management and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to work well as both an individual contributor and as a member of a team
· Able to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, where small teams share a broad variety of duties
· Displays strong initiative and drive to accomplish goals and meet company objectives
· Takes ownership and responsibility for current and past work products
· Is committed to learning from mistakes and driven to improve and enhance performance of oneself, others, and the company
· Focuses on teamwork, collaboration and puts the success of the team above one's own interests
· Ability to work in an office and manufacturing environment
· Regularly required to stand, sit; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard
The salary range for this role is:
$73,466 - $110,198
AeroVironment considers several factors when extending an offer, including but not limited to, the location, the role and associated responsibilities, a candidate's work experience, education/training, and key skills.
This position requires access to information that is subject to compliance with the International Traffic Arms Regulations (“ITAR”) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (“EAR”). In order to comply with the requirements of the ITAR and/or the EAR, applicants will be asked to provide specific documentation to verify U.S. person status under the ITAR and the EAR. A “U.S. person” according to their definition is a U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident (green card holder), or protected individual such as a refugee, or asylee. See 22 CFR § 120.15. Some positions will require current U.S. Citizenship due to contract requirements.
Benefits : AV offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental vision, 401K with company matching, a 9/80 work schedule and a paid holiday shutdown. For more information about our company benefit offerings please visit: https:// www. avinc.com/myavbenefits.
We also encourage you to review our company website at https:// www. avinc.com to learn more about us.
Principals only need apply. NO agencies please.
Who We Are
Based in California, AeroVironment (AVAV) is a global leader in unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Founded in 1971 by celebrated physicist and engineer, Dr. Paul MacCready, we've been at the leading edge of technical innovation for more than 45 years. Be a part of the team that developed the world's most widely used military drones and created the first submarine-launched reconnaissance drone, and has seven innovative vehicles that are part of the Smithsonian Institution's permanent collection in Washington, DC.
Join us today in developing the next generation of small UAS and tactical missile systems that will deliver more actionable intelligence to our customers so they can proceed with certainty – and succeed.
What We Do
Building on a history of technological innovation, AeroVironment designs, develops, produces, and supports an advanced portfolio of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Agencies of the U.S. Department of Defense and allied military services use the company's hand-launched UAS to provide situational awareness to tactical operating units through real-time, airborne reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition.
AeroVironment Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V and works in compliance with both federal and state laws. We are committed to the concept regarding Equal Employment opportunity. Qualified candidates will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, medical condition nor disability, genetics, veteran and all others that may apply.
U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (Green Card holder) or asylee/refugee status as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3) required.